Monday, February 27, 2012

Our Chicken Noodle Soup

Growing up, my mom always made homemade noodles for our Chicken Noodle soup. We never had it any other way. So, when I had kids and started making Chicken Noodle soup for them, I knew I had to make the noodles. I don't know what it is about them, their imperfect shape, thickness, or the way they take on the chicken flavor. What ever it is they are a must have!

Homemade Noodles...
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
slightly beat then add...
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together, use your hands if needed (don't be afraid to get messy). Dough should be in a ball form. Let sit covered for 30 mins. Then roll it out on the counter, and let them sit and dry. Right before making soup use pizza cutter and cut into noodles. 

*I usually try to make them after lunch so they have at least 5 hours to dry. You could make them ahead of time and freeze, I have done that before as well. This time I also tried adding Flax Seed Meal to the noodles. I replaced 1/4 cup of the flour with the meal. I think next time I will try cutting it down to 2tbs. I felt that this time they didn't have the flavor I was used to.

Before you start cooking the soup get your pizza cutter out and cut into noodles. We prefer shorter, fatter noodles.


Chicken Noodle Soup
2-4 cups chopped carrots and celery
8 cups water
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1-2 chicken breasts cooked and diced
celery salt
minced garlic

Bring water to boil. Meanwhile chop carrots and celery. Add to boiling water along with bouillon cubes, celery salt and garlic. Cook over Med-high heat for 20 minutes. Then add noodles and continue to simmer for 10- 15 minutes until noodles are tender. Lastly add in chicken.

Chop veggies

Adding noodles and cooking 10 more mins

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken noodle soup! I have never made my own noodles and really need to! I add a little white pepper... it's my secret ingredient. :) ~Christel

    ReplyDelete