Saturday, April 9, 2011

Leftover roast as a Chinese meal???

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a deal for e-mealz. This site gives you a menu, grocery list, and recipes for a week of meals. It will even be store specific or you can choose a non-specific list. Unfortunately for Iowa, our only options are Aldi and Walmart. The original cost is $5/ month.

We are on week 2 of our 6 months that we signed up for, and so far we are enjoying it. I love that the only thought I have to put into supper is which meal to have on which night. I get the weekly menu on Thursday, so I take that day to check over the grocery list and look at the ads to see where to get the the best deals on the food I need. I then shop on Friday to get all the groceries I need for the weeks meals and write on the white board what we are having when. I think so far it has saved us money, because I am not running to the store multiple times and picking up unnecessary groceries.

Last week our menu looked like this:
Saturday- BBQ Pork Sandwiches, Corn on the Cob*, Baked Beans
Sunday- Spaghetti Pie
Monday- EZ Potato Soup, Bran Muffins
Tuesday- Chicken Crunch, White Rice, Steamed Broccoli
Wednesday- Roast Beef w/ vegetables, biscuits
Thursday- Easy Steak and Rice (recipe below), rolls, fruit salad
Friday- Lemon Pepper Fish, Asparagus, Cantaloupe

*btw-frozen corn on the cob isn't bad. It isn't Grimes sweet corn in the summer, but if you are in the mood for it outside of sweet corn season this will satisfy!

I have to share the recipe for the Easy Steak and Rice, because I couldn't believe how it used the leftover meat from Wednesday night, but didn't taste the same at all. I originally cooked the roast beef with a package of onion soup mix and a half can of beer for 6 hours in the crock pot.

Easy Steak and Rice

1 1/2 -2 lbs cooked boneless chuck or sirloin roast
2 T butter
1 T flour
2 Medium onions
1 t minced onion
2-3 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
1 Cup water

Heat 2 T butter; add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender. Sprinkle in flour; stir. Add soy sauce, sugar and water, stirring smooth. Place leftover beef in pan. Cover, simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes, adding more water if needed. Season to taste (which I didn't add anything).
Serve over Rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment