Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Make a Super Hero Cape for about $2

In a quest to not have the kids drag my towels out to try and use as capes I stumbled upon this blog that had a tutorial on making a cape using 2 towels from the Dollar Tree. (feel free to use her tutorial, it is well documented and is step by step) I must say I LOVE shopping at the Dollar Tree, you just never know what you are going to find there. So, I didn't mind this opportunity to go and shop!

<---I bought 2 kitchen towels. This way the cape could be reversible if the kids feel the need.


I used a bib I had on ---> hand to get the shape of the neck then curved the bottom of the green layer. Then placing right sides together I placed the green on the blue and cut the blue towel to match.






Jayden had to test fit the cape before I could sew it.












Unfortunately I don't have any more pictures of the process I was being rushed to finish so someone could use it. Anyway you then, with right sides together, sew around the edges of the cape using about 1/4 inch seam allowance. Also don't forget, don't sew all the way around. You need to leave a whole open to flip it right side out. Use pinking shears to trim your seam allowance. Then turn right side out and iron your seams. After ironing top stitch around the edges, this will close the whole you left for turning. The last thing you need to do is add velcro to the neck tabs.

Congratulations you have a wonderful superhero cape ready for hours of play!!



<---Dexter decided to model the final product. I need to get busy sewing another one so he doesn't have to share with brother. And sister requested that she have one as well.









This picture is from Obsessively Stitching, it shows the monogram that she put on the back of her capes using scrap fabric from the contrasting towel. I plan to add this to Jayden's cape. You just use fusible webbing and then top stitch around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment