Friday, July 13, 2012

New Restaurant in Town

Ankeny has a new restaurant, Number 7 Brewing Company it is the first brewpub in town. It moved into one of the oldest buildings in Ankeny, 302 SW Maple. The owner (Matt) used to work at Principal with Mike. Matt brews at least 2 beers right now, makes his own bbq sauce, and smokes his own meat.  

 

The appetizer...  soon to be the best wings in Ankeny! They are smoked then grilled. This combination made the outside a little crispy with a smoky undertone. We had the bbq and they were perfection in my opinion... sweet, but with a little spice.

 Mike ordered up the Shandy a beer brewed by Number 7. I even liked this beer, which says a lot! It was light, but had a bit of a fruitiness to it.

  
The kids had a round of rootbeer, doesn't Jayden look to be enjoying it?! The bottle says this was brewed in Amana, IA. That is another thing that is nice about Number 7, they use local ingredients and products. They have a saying that is on the waiters/waitresses shirts and on the menu... "Drink Local. Eat Fresh. Live Well."

Now for the main event.... the food. We had the Brisket, Smoked Meatloaf Sandwich, Hot dog, and BBQ Chicken Sandwich. I must say here that we are huge Hickory Park fans, so we always compare a bbq place to that unfortunately. Mike and I both agreed that the food here, or what we had anyway, was just as good! I still crave the bbq chicken. I just loved the bbq sauce that Matt makes. The meatloaf sandwich was really different. I had never heard of it, and Matt was explaining it to Mike a few days before we went and it sounded different and tasty. So naturally I had to try it. Unfortunately I can't really remember all about it, but I know it was smoked. Sorry I am horrible at describing food. The only thing we didn't try that I wish we would have, was the Sweet Potato Fry Pie. It is an appetizer that totes it could be a dessert with its sweet seasonings and marshmallow cream. 
 
 I loved that they brought extra napkins and condiments to the table in a beer box. As I looked around they were all different. It was really unique.

  
Dex was really excited to be there! Don't you just love that big barn door behind him, I do! I don't know the history behind it, but I guess most everything in this building has a story behind it. Like the tables are made from the bowling alley lanes from Ankeny Lanes. 


So, Please go try their food sometime! If you go let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. So cool.. I used to go there in High school.. it was called something else.. ~Christel

    ReplyDelete