Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!!!!

In honor of Pi day, I of course had to make a pie. I realized I have never in my life made pie. I usually stick to bars, cakes, and cookies. I suppose apple crisp is the closest I have come to making pie. So, I decided to take our favorite apple crisp recipe and put it into a pie. It received big raves from the family. It was a perfect combination in my opinion.


Apple Crisp Pie

Single Crust- from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

1. in bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender (or fork), cut in shortening until pieces are pea-sized.

2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the flour mixture, gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture until dough forms a ball. 

3. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12 inch circle. Transfer to dish by wrapping it onto your rolling pin.

Filling and topping
4-6 apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup flour
3/8 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. peel and slice apples. then place them in pie dish on top of crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon. 

2. In bowl combine sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly.  Then place on top of apples.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment